Monday, October 13, 2014

Inspirations from the Dark (part one)

And God said, "Let there be light…"  Which I suppose would mean the dark was the original form of existence - where all things were born from.  We, ourselves, spend nine months in the womb, floating in darkness all cozy and comfy until we're forced into the light, spanked on the ass and shipped down this conveyor belt of life.

Yet, from the day of our birth, we are taught to fear the dark. Not that it isn't for good reason.  The dark protects those who would do us harm.  Predators hide in the dark.  They creep and stalk and attack from the shroud of blackness.  Whether it's a lion roaming the plains of Africa, enemy soldiers crawling across a battlefield, or a serial killer hiding in our closet, the dark benefits our attackers.

So why is it that we prefer to sleep at night when we are at our most vulnerable?  Perhaps, we harken back to our subconscious contentment of our earliest existence in the womb.

The dark also sparks our interest.  The mystery of what exists beyond the veil of night causes our imagination to run wild with possibilities. I can't tell you how many times as a kid, I used to freak myself out by just staring at the shadows in a dark room as I laid in bed at night. Suddenly, your mind starts to play tricks on you and you start to hear and see things move and shift. Or maybe you're just more aware in the dark, more in tune with what's really there?…  Cue evil laughter!…


Could this be why we fear the dark, but are still drawn to it?

Like good and evil, we are constantly being pulled between the light and the dark.  We feel safe in the light, yet we long to conquer the night.

Myself, I love the sunlight, especially if I'm at a California beach at sunset. But if I had to choose - if I had to be absolutely honest - I would have to choose the night.  By nature, I'm more nocturnal and I've never been a fan of mornings.  I seem to have more energy and I'm more creative at night.  That's when I do most of my writing and brainstorming.

In fact, I'm writing this blog at night.  





Even my first full-time job was working third shift.  Later, I was a DJ at a nightclub, working nights until the wee hours of the morning. And when I started working production on films, the night shoots were always my favorite.
I could go all night long, 24 hours straight without blinking an eye, but give me a call time at 4 am in the morning and I would cringe at the thought.

Perhaps, this is why I found the movie theater to be one of my favorite places when I was growing up.  Huddled in the dark, looking up at the screen, it was as if I could see my dreams flickering in front of me.  But this was even better, because I was conscious, I could remember these dreams.  Lucid images of men I wanted to be like and women I wanted to be with… in places I've never been or time periods beyond my memory or in a future that would spark my imagination.

Which brings me to my first memory of my first so-called Film Noir Movie Experience… which ironically enough took place not in a movie theater…  but on television…  

(To be continued…)

Please show your love 
and help support our movie, NOIR, at:
https://igg.me/at/creatingnoir

Follow us on twitter @NoirTheFilm - Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/noirthefilm

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool and I can't wait to see how a film comes out of this.

    ReplyDelete